I laughed out loud when I read this Wikipedia entry yesterday.
Characteristics of quarter-life crisis may include:
* feeling “not good enough” because one can’t find a job that is at one’s academic/intellectual level
* frustration with relationships, the working world, and finding a suitable job or career
* confusion of identity
* insecurity regarding the near future
* insecurity concerning long-term plans, life goals
* insecurity regarding present accomplishments
* re-evaluation of close interpersonal relationships
* disappointment with one’s job
* nostalgia for university, college, high school or elementary school life
* tendency to hold stronger opinions
* boredom with social interactions
* loss of closeness to high school and college friends
* financially-rooted stress (overwhelming college loans, unanticipatedly high cost of living, etc.)
* desire to have children
* a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you
I experienced every single thing on that list, and I still do some of them occasionally. I’ve mentioned in some posts before that I was going through a quarter-life crisis, but I thought that wasn’t real… not real enough to warrant its own Wikipedia entry, at least.
Am I still suffering from quarter-life crisis? I think most of the anxiety has been wiped off by my recent career development. My energy and creativity are being channeled into something I’m truly passionate about, so I’m not feeling ‘not good enough’ anymore. The desire to find a significant other and even to the extent of having a little girl to call my daughter is there, though I’m definitely not mature enough to become a mother now. And maybe my desire to dye my hair blue has something to do with my going through this quarter-life crisis thing.
I’m thinking again… is it really a crisis that I was/am going through? Yes, it does feel alarming that I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life and all that. But isn’t that a good thing that I was aware of the lack of life goals I had? Maybe it should be termed as quarter-life awareness… the realisation that you need to set directions (or otherwise if that’s what you’re more inclined towards) in your life in order to lead a happy and fulfilling one.
My Bangkok trip is back on! The political situation in Thailand is getting better as we speak, I believe… I’m so totally stoked that I’m even looking forward to eating my in-flight meal!😆 My apologies to Lovelyloey as I cannot make it to Singapore this time… I have made a pinky finger promise with Angel, though, that we will visit Singapore during the Christmas season.😛
Bangkok, here comes sulz!!!